Thursday, December 4, 2014

Scripture: Hebrews 4:13
Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of God, to whom we must give account.
 
Thought for the Day: Growing up Jewish in the Deep South was no walk in the park. I was often called names, including “Christ killer,” and condemned to an eternity in Hell on a daily basis. Still, I’m a white male, and I’ve largely been able to enjoy the privileges that come from being accidentally born into the planet’s most ruthless and powerful ethnicity and gender. And today, I am more ashamed and angry about that accident of fate than I have ever been in my life.
 
I have never once had to worry about being shot by the police when I’m walking around late at night with a candy bar in my hands. I’ve never once had to worry that if I sold a cigarette to someone, a cop would strangle me to death. I’ve never had to worry that my son, playing in the park with his Nerf guns would be murdered in cold blood by a police officer. I don’t have to look over my shoulder to see if I’m being followed, pay much attention to the speed limit because I’m worried about being pulled over, or be careful if I get lost and find myself in the wealthiest neighborhood of my city. I've never had to worry about justice being served if a loved one is brutally and unfairly slain by those who have sworn to uphold the very justice their actions mock. On camera.
 
I understand that I can never, ever understand what my brothers and sisters of color—African American, Hispanic American, Asian, Native and Haitian American, go through on a daily basis. But as someone trying to be a merely decent human being, my heart is broken, my spirit is broken, and I wail in agony with everyone whose lives have been destroyed by a racist America with no sense of justice or duty. #blacklivesmatter, #hispaniclivesmatter, #alllivesmatter
 
Prayer: Lead us out of this dark night of the soul, God who is our only hope.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment