Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Quote: J.R.R. Tolkien
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
 
Thought for the Day: Of course, the problem is that if we valued food and cheer and song, we’d find a way to hoard it. But Tolkien’s sentiment echoes some of the most ancient writings in the Bible. From Solomon to Sirach, our ancient forbears understood that happiness is never found in material things. As Jews who were constantly under attack and perpetually displaced, their possessions stolen time and time again, they quickly came to understand that happiness could only be found in relationship with God. Their hope was ever and always in God, because God was with them always, whether they were momentarily rich or poor, at home or in diaspora.
 
If we attach our happiness to wealth or possessions, then we will be devastated when we eventually lose those possessions. Perhaps more importantly, when we are obsessed by material things, we lose focus on God, and we begin to act out of purely selfish motives. We hoard our wealth, always afraid we’ll lose it, always afraid there isn’t enough. When we’re possessed by the material world, we forget that giving to others, that sharing our wealth creates a deeper happiness than any number of Ferraris in the garage.
 
I know it’s not very fashionable to believe in God in the 21st Century. But I just have no idea where I would find hope if I didn’t believe in God. Because as I look around at this frightened world we’re destroying through war and greed, I don’t see humans suddenly having a change of heart anytime soon. I don’t see dictators abdicating their thrones and stopping the genocides. I don’t see the Wall Street criminals giving us our money back. I don’t see the insurance companies giving us our healthcare system back. I don’t see government working for the people instead of the body corporate.
 
So my happiness must come from God, from the knowledge that God is constantly at work making us kinder, gentler creatures, no matter how hopeless things look today. I know without any doubt that God is at work through millions and millions of us, and that slowly but surely, the evils that possess us are being destroyed by God’s ultimate love and forgiveness. And that faith makes me truly happy.
 
Prayer: God, give me strength to see beyond the trouble and turmoil. Give me courage to accept Your call to action, to be Your instrument for peace and love as You create a world of ultimate happiness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment